042. Tinfoils, Earth Sans Soil [rewritten]

by Poor Imp

042. Lost. Tinfoil Looks Like That

The previous a draft--ten minutes done at five-thirty AM. This one, with rather more time, this morning. CL's contest. Thank you, Snoink. On this, I still feel as if I'm writing blind though.

--

Sometimes, Bellezza hummed.

Fleeting melody—they were the sounds of lackadays whistling under bullets’ whirr; of children chanting rhymes and lullabies; of the mockingbird at dusk. Wide lips pursed, she stared at paving stones and hummed. But she tried not to recall the tunes. War had its own music, and it had gotten inexorably wound up with hers—like heartbeats against barbed wire.

‘And I don’t wanna fall in love

I don’t wanna hurt me, guv’

I don’t wanna fall in love…’

Little Teresa told her heart holes only came out of bullet holes. She had illustrated it—charcoal and crayon on a scrap of mama’s note paper. In the far left corner, the stationer had printed Pax Christi.

Bellezza hummed. No one fell in love in Li’Italy—the city couldn’t hold it. It loved like its little girls, dirt under their fingernails picking pockets, pulling bank notes out against ribs, hips quashed back against day-old, maggot war dead. It loved like the young men, knotted in their barbed wire, who loved the choked, gagging feeling in their gut, or the pained shine of their rifle barrel.

Whimsical, Teresa’s next scribble was a crooked heart, wired up like a lightbulb.

‘Light bulb’s don’t work that way,’ Bellezza told her.

‘It’s a heart with lights,’ said Teresa, ‘It’s got wires like mami’s bra, to keep her heart in.’

‘Heart’s don’t light up.’

‘Yes,’ said Teresa, earnestly, ‘Look.’

So the city had wired hearts then. Like lightbulbs, wired wrong, they couldn’t light up.

Bellezza lay on the roof, the sun searing through her eyelids, daylight [noon] sketching freckles on her nose. Gunshot rhythms echoed up against the leaning flats, tenement cinderblock and adobe mud ratcheting sound to the sky. And she wandered the narrow streets, tracing bullet holes in the long walls with smudged fingers. And she took Teresina to the edge of the flats and looked down into the gut of the trench and said look, that’s barbed wire.

With curious grey eyes, Teresa followed the roots and water rivulets, carved into the sides of the ditch. She said, ‘There’s veins in them.’

While Teresa drew pink things with electricity and wires winding through them, Bellezza hummed and danced a waltz. The boys in love with rifle butts and barrels, with pain in their stomachs, waved and called out.

And Bellezza spat on them, and giggled—the sun behind her a halo.

The lost wandered through the city sometimes. Ghost folk, refugees and half-men with pieces missing—arms, faces, teeth, hands. Usually, mama found them in the window’s barbed wire. Everyone had barbed windows. Sometimes, they were in the bar with their heads on the sticky tables. Sometimes they stumbled through and out the other side—just shades passing through; wires strung through a faded, graying heart.

Until Gaetano sauntered in, limp daring, lazy grin and bent up shoulders slouched sideways in his coat. He stopped at Bellezza’s house, and got his coat cuff caught in the window’s wire, and his heart sketched up by Teresa as tinfoil with something red peering out of the inside.

Freed, he disappeared into the alleys. The next day, he was back, wrist wrapped in dirty linen. He stood beneath the second window until Bellezza looked out, her freckled face wan, lips wide unpursed.

He said, I love you.

Bellezza tore her skirts that night, dashing through barbed wire. She lost her shoes in rivulet mud; and she hummed snatches of lullabies. Chopin—the mad trill of piano keys in Etude in G flat major that the barboy could play on the shattered baby-grand. Nursery rhymes with dirges for melody.

The next day, Gaetano found her on Signora Gravi’s roof. He peered over the lip of the flat tiling, frayed hair brittle over green eyes. I love you, he told her.

She stopped humming, and slept until he could hold on no longer, and slid back on to the awning and dropped into the street.

Teresa clung to her at dinner, asking, asking, asking. Can you wire up a heart? Look, this one’s quashed. She had another crayon-smeared sketch. This one’s quashed. Can you wire it like the net scaping? Can it get wired like a light bulb?

No, Bellezza told her, not even light bulb’s work that way. It’s just squashed up. It means it’s dead.

In the morning, Gaetano found her on the shelf above the trenches. And she laughed, smiled with eyes like sunset. She played games, and asked him to whistle his marching songs. Earnestly, she told him he had a silly, pretty head. She told him things that meant the world, but they were wired up words, and in her mind, she heard them like piano keys, untuned. Barboy playing a waltz that sounded like a dirge.

He whistled every morning to wake her. Every morning, she peered through barbed wire to his widening smile, the cinderblock lined up behind him, already dusky at dawn.

‘Exchange hearts,’ he asked her on the roof, ‘I love you.’

And it seemed a novel sort of idea, but hardly fair.

And so she crushed his heart—like tinfoil, Teresina’s sketch—and strung barbed wire words through it; made him think of bullet holes and how he got his limp. Purposeful, oblivious—he couldn’t have what she didn’t.

I don’t wanna be in love

don’t wanna hurt me, guv’

don’t wanna be in love…’

She hummed from the roof, gazing down at his sideways shoulder more and how his other seemed broken as it; his wan face dead-white, hand clutched in his jacket against his heart.

I love you, he told her.

But she knew what love was; and it couldn’t be wired up; and light bulb’s didn’t work, shattered and strung with electrical tape. And Teresa sketched her a piece of coal, with penciled triangles strewn about it and asked her, asked, asked.

Is it dead when it looks like that?

Aedomir wrote a review...

Hi Imp!

Sorry I took my time getting to this - let's hope my feedback can be of some help.

Fleeting melody

I feel this should be plural, since you think go on to say 'they'.

dirt under fingernails

Comma after this.

But those minor points are bit irrelevant to the actual story:

*rereads* ... gah ... an instructor lost for words?

Firstly, let me say how much I loved all the imagery you had going on here. I thought this was great - a fun read. I'm going to feel very stupid after this review, since I can't offer a lot of con-crit; there really isn't much to complain about (which is what criticism is all about, eh?).

Anyhow, the fact that you told us so little in terms of physical descriptions I thought gave the reader an interesting view of the characters. We tend to just view them as out personality makes them out. However, this often means it is hard to keep up, and like Jiggity said, it would hard to keep for a novel-size idea.

As a whole, this was a very ambitious piece. I praise you for that - and even some areas where it didn't work as well showed the reader what a fun story you can make out of this. There are a few areas I think you should work on:
  • Emotions - I ask you, what is Bellezza thinking? You say she is humming, and give a lovely few lines about that, but why has she chosen those words specifically to sing? Yes, it adds to the whole silly rhythms, but nonetheless, what is she thinking? How does this match the story? No need to start talking about every action she does, nothing like that, but how do her thoughts portray what she does? For the most part of the latter end however, you began to explore her feelings a little more, yet still not enough. Imagery can be great from the narrators point of view, but sometimes, we just need the simple stuff.

Actually, that's it. The similes at the metaphors you have going on work really well together - so well done!

I hope I have been some help,
Mark

lyrical_sunshine wrote a review...

*peers cautiously around the forum*
Am I the only one who really enjoyed this?

I loved it, and it made sense to me. Does this mean I'm insane, like Imp?

Lol, just kidding. But seriously, your word choice, your description, the emotions this story evoked - it was just beautiful. Keep up the good work.

Wed May 21, 2008 4:47 am
Poor Imp says...

Sinister Jigster, my sincerest thanks. I will make note of the diction in repetition... Quashed and squashed a problem then?

Ah, I had thought I merely had Teresa saying quashed--as if she hadn't quite got what it meant. If it's in the narrative, oy, it may be awkward. o0 And naturally, if you get to reread, I'd be more than happy to get in-depth comments. ^_^ I might even forget the yellow debacle for a moment. ^_~

IMP

Jiggity wrote a review...

Ah, the beloved Imp has been released to us once more. Be thankful, no?

I quite enjoyed this. It's vintage Imp. Your style is rather eclectic, your word choice haphazard - its not something, in this showcase anyhow, that could work as a novel, but as a short story I think its wonderful.

It's quite early in the morning now, so some things did fly past me, but the overall impression was still there and it was good. I will reread it later.

The only point that stuck out to me - beyond certain repetitions of word - was the fact you used the word 'quashed' three to four times before this sentence:

It’s just squashed up. It means it’s dead.

Either you've missed 's' in those instances, or I'm missing something. It's a tad confusing, yes?

I don't mind the lack of descriptions for the two girls, in fact, I found it refreshing. It in no way detracted from the charm of the piece. Quite dark, quite lovely.

Adieu.

Poor Imp says...

Thanks--again--Snoink, very much. ^_^

Ah, it seems both you and Icaruss have caught that one paragraph. And I rather felt its disorder went with the order of the piece. Er, but then it does dodge off entirely from its first sentence.

Is that the most violent appearance of something you think shows up a bit too much throughout?

--

Chernobyl--

Thanks. ^_^

IMP

Snoink wrote a review...

Closer! :D At any rate, it's a bajillion times better than the other draft.

First of all, this paragraph makes no sense:

"Bellezza hummed. No one fell in love in Li’Italy—the city couldn’t hold it. It loved like its little girls, dirt under their fingernails picking pockets, pulling bank notes out against ribs, hips quashed back against day-old, maggot war dead. It loved like the young men, knotted in their barbed wire, who loved the choked, gagging feeling in their gut, or the pained shine of their rifle barrel."

So look into that and revise. The topic sentence doesn't go with any of the other sentences and I had to reread it several times to realize that it made no sense. Not good.

Okay... with that said, I think you really really need to give descriptions of the two girls. Teresa seems very young and Belleza seems old, but other than that, I have no image of them at the top of my head, so I can't really imagine them saying what they do. So give us a concrete image of them.

Sat May 17, 2008 2:33 am
ChernobyllyInclined wrote a review...

You're twenty! It says up there. I didn't notice before.

Frightfully silly. The tangling is the whole point. The style matches the story.
It must be read carefully. Like Dickens or Chesterton. You are asked to think about it; no one is forcing you. If you don't think about it of course you won't get it. Nothing should be effortless - what's the fun in that?

Anyway, this was painful. And you say you don't know how to do romance. You are silly. I feel like you could add a little more something to the middle. Perhaps just a little dialogue between Bellezza and Gaetano just to help the ones who are having difficulty understanding. But perhaps not. When I read it again this seemed unnecessary.

Ridiculously good. I always have difficulty articulating what I like about your stories because I can't imagine being able to speak as well of them as they speak of themselves. If that makes sense. It fits in itself and describes itself in a way thats terribly far and terribly close at the same time.

I need to add mine. Soon.

Poor Imp says...

Oy, don't apologise for your impressions, da? Any earnest response is worth at least the time it takes to listen.

Anyhow, thanks Icaruss. Doubtless, it's an aspect of our preferences and styles. But you've also hit on a valid point, as I can and have meandered in various pieces of writing, and sometimes I lose my way.

Is it that specific paragraph that seemed worst to you?

IMP

Icaruss wrote a review...

I struggled to read this. It felt like a chore. Now, that doesn't necessary means it's bad, it's just not my kind of story. And it's not the plot, or the characters, or anything like that. It's your style. You write well, that's fairly clear. You know your way around words, you know how to put them together well. But the thing is... In the end it's not easy to read. Long sentences tangle up and lose meaning. Maybe I'm just an idiot, you know? But I struggled to understand this text, and in the end, you spend more time trying to figure it out than enjoying it.

To me, a good story is the one you read effortlessly. The one in that every words follows the other like... I don't know. The one that just sounds right, you know? The one that you can read out loud, and it sounds funky. It sounds good. Again, I'm not an authority of any kind, and I'm not even that good of a writer no matter how hard I try to convince myself I am, but... I just did not enjoy your story. And it's not that you're a bad writer, and it's not that it is a particularly bad tale, it's just the way you use your skills, and the way you tell it, doesn't work.

I'm saying the same things over and over again. But look:

"No one fell in love in Li’Italy—the city couldn’t hold it." That sounds fine. That feels fine. That I like, but the you follow: "It loved like its little girls, dirt under their fingernails picking pockets, pulling bank notes out against ribs, hips quashed back against day-old, maggot war dead. It loved like the young men, knotted in their barbed wire, who loved the choked, gagging feeling in their gut, or the pained shine of their rifle barrel." And it just ruins it. The sentence doesn't make sense, the metaphor is just... I don't get it. It -the city, I guess- loved like its little girls. How did the little girls love? You don't say it, I guess we just have to know, but not only you don't say it, but insead describe how the little girl looks, as if the way they look is the way they love. And the description is just as tangled up, but I guess you're missing a comma or two there.

And it goes on. I hope you understand what I'm saying. And if you do, I hope you remember that you don't really have to listen to a word I say, because after all I'm just a picture and a block of words.

Okay I’m supposed to be asleep what am I doing measuring sinks
— EllieMae